[Guide] How To Speed Up Your WIndows OS
Introduction
Has your Windows Operating system's performance taken the turn for the worst? Are you constantly lagging out and noticing substantial speed decreases as time goes on? Do you think you've done everything there is to do involving speed performance boosts? Well, today I'll let a bit of information leak from my head into yours in hopes someone will learn something new. Let's get started, you'll need the following to advance through this guide: Ccleaner
Let's start off with Ccleaner to remove junk files, unnecessary registry entries, unneeded startup programs and unneeded programs from your computer. It's recommended you do this before scanning Malwarebytes to ensure a clean path for it's scanning.

Start off by opening up the Ccleaner's interface. Once you've done this, go to the Cleaner section and the Windows tab. I'll show you my configuration for the removal of junk files, you can either follow my lead or if you're more advanced, select your own options. Note that if you check "Saved Passwords" you will lose all saved passwords on your web browsers!

Windows Tab (check everything except wipe free space, unless you want to)

[Image: eb52d929264e4edaa3ceb88f3ecd0809.png]

Applications Tab (recommended to check everything)

[Image: 867f6fd6c4a743b997504518e3480208.png]

From there, hit Analyze to analyze the amount of junk files on your system. Once it's finished analyzing, go ahead and hit Run Cleaner. This will remove a substantial amount of junk files if you don't normally do this, and this scan should be ran weekly. Please make sure that you write down your passwords before doing this to prevent any future problems!

Now we're onto the Registry tab. This one is pretty self explanatory and simply requires you to check all of the listed options. Press Scan for Issues and then Fix Selected once you're prompted with the amount. It's recommended that you run this 3-4 times to ensure that you're thorough. Ccleaner tends to miss them, then re-find them upon additional scans.

Last but not least, the Tools section. This section consists of the most important changes this program can offer you. You'll notice you now see the Uninstall tab and the Startup tab. The other 2 can be ignored. 

Let's start off with the Uninstall tab. This tab gives you a full list of what programs you currently have installed on your Operating System. Now, I can't tell you which are important and which are not, but removing common day programs that you do not use anymore is a recommended action. Note that anything with "toolbar" in the name can be safely removed and deemed unneeded. What happens is, when you install a program they usually hide their advertising toolbars into the installing process to make money. These are usually spyware and completely unneeded/useless.

Finally, the Startup tab. From here, you can see which programs start up immediatly after your computer starts. Contrary to popular belief that this is conveniant, it's more of a resource hog and can really weigh down on your system's performance.

First off, remove anything that you know for sure can be removed. Programs such as Skype, Adobe, Java, Msn, Daemon Tools, and Teamviewer are common unneeded startup programs. Once you've removed the ones you know are safe to remove, begin Googling the rest. Find out what they are and if they're unneeded, disable them. Steer clear of anything you're unsure of to avoid system instability. However, there's rarely anything in this list that is absolutely needed.

Malwarebytes
Here comes the easy and most beneficial part of this guide. Running Malwarebytes will take a mere 45 minutes of your time and remove 97% of all day to day infections on your machine. Over time, your anti-virus misses a substantial amount of malicious content that you stumble upon via common day internet browsing. Malwarebytes should always be your #1 backup for knocking those bad boys out of the water.

To start off, open up Malwarebytes and you should be prompted to update it. If not, go to the Update tab and press Check for Updates. Once you've done that, head back over to the Scanner tab. From here, tick the option to "Perform Full Scan" and then hit Scan

This will thoroughly scan your Operating System for malicious content. Let the scan run, preferably with no programs open. If you want to, you can run this scan within the Safe Mode environment but make sure you update it before booting up due to needing internet connection to do that.

Once Malwarebytes has finished scanning, go ahead and tick all of found files and press Remove. After doing that, go ahead and reboot your computer to finish the process. This should be scanned at very least bi weekly.

Miscellaneous Speed Improvements 

Windows Update
To check for updates, go to Start -> Windows Update -> Check for Updates. This will keep you up to date with Microsoft's Operating System security patches and driver updates to maintain system stability.

Disk Cleanup
To start the Disk Cleanup process, go to Start -> Disk Cleanup -> Ok -> Tick all of found files to delete and then press Ok.

Service Optimization
Every Windows 7 Operating System that gets installed on your machine, comes pre-installed with a substantial amount of unneeded services that run in the background. These services tend to act as resource hogs and use a heap of system resources without being needed.THIS website has a fantastic safe configuration guide to set unnecessary services to either Needed, Manual or Disabled. Note that you never want to modify your services via Msconfig, always do it through the Services.msc.

Allocate more Virtual Memory to your Page File
To do this, go to Start -> Right click Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Change -> Tick "Custom Size" and put in what the recommended amount would be at the bottom. Do it for both Initial and Maximum size. If you know what a Page File is and you have over 4GB of Ram and never experience your Ram usage going past 70% then you can safely disable your Paging File for an advanced performance boost as it's unneeded.

Defragmentation
Think of your computer as a library where books constantly get taken out of their organized locations and put back into random spots on the shelves. Over time, it becomes harder and harder for your system to find them and it slowly causes a lack in performance. By defragmenting, it puts those files back into their respective spots and basically creates it's own shelf for your most commonly read books. (If you have a hard time understanding that, feel free to request further information in the comments). My favorite defragging program would be Iobit's Smart Defrag. This can be found HERE

Great post! Smile i'll keep this in another tab to read later. good job!

[Image: OXSIG.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes oxlind's post:
  • AFG
(10-07-2016, 11:38 PM)oxlind Wrote: Great post! Smile i'll keep this in another tab to read later. good job!

Thanks! :Smile Glad you like it. Smile

Yeah, No problem! Smile

[Image: OXSIG.png]
(10-07-2016, 11:38 PM)oxlind Wrote: Great post! Smile i'll keep this in another tab to read later. good job!

Same here, once again @AFG you keep your nicely constructed tutorials so informative, thank you.. also off topic-ish, is Bitdefender any good?
(10-08-2016, 12:18 AM)runescape Wrote:

Same here, once again @AFG you keep your nicely constructed tutorials so informative, thank you.. also off topic-ish, is Bitdefender any good?

Bitdefender is a great anti-virus. I personally use ESET, which is the best paid anti-virus. However, Bitdefender still does the job well. I use to use it. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes AFG's post:
  • Devil
(10-08-2016, 12:27 AM)AFG Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 12:18 AM)runescape Wrote:

Bitdefender is a great anti-virus. I personally use ESET, which is the best paid anti-virus. However, Bitdefender still does the job well. I use to use it. Smile

Thank you for the quick response Big Grin
Yet another great guide. Amazing stuff for sure, and will definitely help out. Heart

Are you a guest to this site? Click the image below and sign up today!
[Image: FTYbRmR.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red's post:
  • AFG
Just clean up your files and programs Tongue