[TUTORIAL] How To Clone An Entire Web Site
How To Clone A Web Site

This tutorial will demonstrate how to use HTTrack to save a local clone of an entire website.

There are a number of reasons why you might want to clone a site - whether you want to keep all the information off an interesting site, learn more about how a website is organised / to find hidden data on the site like passwords/email addresses, or for more malicious purposes like phishing and social engineering. 

We can use a program called HTTrack (http://www.httrack.com/) to save a local clone of an entire website. HTTrack is available on windows, linux and even android. It is free to download from here
http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html
Download the installer or standalone version from the link. To be consistent with the other tutorials, here is an alternate method of installation for Kali linux

Before we begin, I should tell you that the help documentation is called "httrack-doc.html" and can be opened in any web browser. Consult this for more advanced usage of HTTrack.

WARNING: Some sites can be enormous, and will take a lot of time and space to clone. E.G. Don't try to clone facebook.

Using the GUI (on windows):

1) Run WinHTTrack. Click "Next", Give the project a name and browse to the location you want to store the project in:

2) Then click "Next" again, Make sure "Download website" is chosen and add the address to the address box:

If you are using a proxy server, you can set the proxy settings by clicking "settings".

3)Then click "Next", and then "Finish". The website will then be cloned, and you can then close HTTrack. 

The clonewebsite will be in a subfolder named after the project, inside the root folder you selected. HTTrack will also have made an "index.html" file to give you an index to all the websites you have cloned so far with it. You can now use the files as you please!

Linux Command Line Usage:

The basic template command looks like this:
Code:

Code:
httrack <the URL of the site> -O <location to save the clone>

In my case, this could look something like this:
Code:

Code:
httrack http://example.com -O /tmp/exampleclone

Then, if we open the browser (IceWeasel), and give it the address "/tmp/exampleclone", it will display the same index page as above. We can then check out our sites files as we please!

Thanks for reading, please reply with your thanks if you enjoyed this and/or found it useful.

[-] The following 3 users Like AFG's post:
  • Devil, FluxMods, Red
(10-07-2016, 08:05 PM)AFG Wrote: Thanks for reading, please reply with your thanks if you enjoyed this and/or found it useful.

That will actually come in handy, I won't do this tutorial, but it well help out other members. If anyone else can try this tutorial and confirm that it works, that'd be great. Thanks for sharing AFG. Heart

Are you a guest to this site? Click the image below and sign up today!
[Image: FTYbRmR.gif]
(10-07-2016, 08:09 PM)Red Wrote:
(10-07-2016, 08:05 PM)AFG Wrote: Thanks for reading, please reply with your thanks if you enjoyed this and/or found it useful.

That will actually come in handy, I won't do this tutorial, but it well help out other members. If anyone else can try this tutorial and confirm that it works, that'd be great. Thanks for sharing AFG. Heart

Thank you Red. Smile

I have to say I love your shares @AFG

You make them so well, and it's normally always a interesting topic!

Great job dude Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Devil's post:
  • AFG
(10-08-2016, 08:00 AM)runescape Wrote: I have to say I love your shares @AFG

Great job dude Smile

Thanks a lot man. :Smile I really appreciate it. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes AFG's post:
  • Devil
(10-08-2016, 08:02 AM)AFG Wrote:

Great job dude Smile

Absolutely dude, I vote you for the Tutorial Expert award!
This is what I used, and if you are having troubles accessing a site with this ( cloudfare can block this ) there are a couple ways around Wink
(10-08-2016, 09:20 AM)Keeper Wrote: This is what I used, and if you are having troubles accessing a site with this ( cloudfare can block this ) there are a couple ways around Wink

Cloudflare sucks to be honest. But if people want to use it then I won't stop them. Heart

Are you a guest to this site? Click the image below and sign up today!
[Image: FTYbRmR.gif]
(10-08-2016, 08:05 AM)runescape Wrote:
(10-08-2016, 08:02 AM)AFG Wrote:

Great job dude Smile

Absolutely dude, I vote you for the Tutorial Expert award!

Wow, thanks dude. :Smile Really means a lot Big Grin

Nice tutorial mate Smile Keep up the work!

[Image: py063Fi.png]