Fear of death and religion.
Its a touchy subject for most people as even talking about it makes us uneasy. I dont fear death, its the unexpected i fear, i think thats maybe why humans have developed the idea of religion to cope with things we dont understand eg.death. Although there is no signs of "god" that has been recorded with evidence a lot of us still have faith and many have even killed over it... complete insanity (for something that doesnt even show its face!!!) all im saying if there was no religion i think as the human race would be a lot more advanced and a lot less wars
I dont mean to offend anyone who is religious this is just my thoughts on it. If you disagree drop a comment Smile

[Image: Funny-GIF-70.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like PsykoSonic's post:
  • Devourz, G2G
It's hard to say where we would be without religion. Look back at the Aztecs would developed their entire society around studying the stars just to get in touch with their gods. In terms of death, I'm going to share an article from TheOnion (satire...I know) and it sums in up nicely.

Article: http://www.theonion.com/article/you-still-die-one-day-52183

~ Vini Vici ~
There have been points in time which religion has indeed inhibited the progress of science, in particular the catholic church. However, to say religion has done nothing but hold back the technological advancement of human kind would be a tad unfair. Religion has brought us remarkable buildings and structures, feats of technological prowess at the time. It's entirely dependent on which religion in particular you're talking about. The Catholic Church was the worst a few hundred years back, In modern times Christianity has tried to stop scientists researching Stem Cells but really when we're talking about the entire history of humanity and their technological advancements, i'd say they barely stopped us. Only a handful of scientists found the fundamental laws of nature that unlocked everything we have today.

In regards to religion being a response to the fear of death & lack of knowledge to what happens after death, i would agree.
(01-26-2016, 03:53 AM)SkyNet Wrote: In regards to religion being a response to the fear of death & lack of knowledge to what happens after death, i would agree.

I agree too. There was one point in my life i almost selected a religion due to i was very down that moment and needed something to count on. But at the end i didn't select any religion and still being a free thinker now.

https://www.G2G.com - The best C2C platform for gamer to buy and sell virtual assets / goods!
(01-17-2016, 02:53 AM)PsykoSonic Wrote: Its a touchy subject for most people as even talking about it makes us uneasy. I dont fear death, its the unexpected i fear, i think thats maybe why humans have developed the idea of religion to cope with things we dont understand eg.death. Although there is no signs of "god" that has been recorded with evidence a lot of us still have faith and many have even killed over it... complete insanity (for something that doesnt even show its face!!!) all im saying if there was no religion i think as the human race would be a lot more advanced and a lot less wars
I dont mean to offend anyone who is religious this is just my thoughts on it. If you disagree drop a comment Smile

Soviets, Chinese etc are against religion.  Atheism can be violent.

I do not know how I have 1k credits lol
(01-26-2016, 05:56 AM)Mortal Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 02:53 AM)PsykoSonic Wrote: Its a touchy subject for most people as even talking about it makes us uneasy. I dont fear death, its the unexpected i fear, i think thats maybe why humans have developed the idea of religion to cope with things we dont understand eg.death. Although there is no signs of "god" that has been recorded with evidence a lot of us still have faith and many have even killed over it... complete insanity (for something that doesnt even show its face!!!) all im saying if there was no religion i think as the human race would be a lot more advanced and a lot less wars

Hmmm, Chinese are not against religions. Nowadays most of the Chinese are Buddhist.  Majority is Buddhism, while some are Christians, etc.

Buddhism has a very long history in China. Lots of temples in China too. Buddhism never insist of God (or free thinker like me called it "The Creator"), but mostly insist on doing goods things, to be kind hearted.

https://www.G2G.com - The best C2C platform for gamer to buy and sell virtual assets / goods!
(01-26-2016, 07:42 AM)G2G Wrote:

Hmmm, Chinese are not against religions. Nowadays most of the Chinese are Buddhist.  Majority is Buddhism, while some are Christians, etc.

Buddhism has a very long history in China. Lots of temples in China too. Buddhism never insist of God (or free thinker like me called it "The Creator"), but mostly insist on doing goods things, to be kind hearted.

In the sense of fascism and communism they are not for religion hence the genocide in some cases. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Buddhists check under communism.

(01-26-2016, 08:39 AM)Mortal Wrote:

In the sense of fascism and communism they are not for religion hence the genocide in some cases. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Buddhists check under communism.

I read it and some parts seem misleading. Anyway, China or Chinese are not against religions, at least not Buddhism which has proved to be legal since long time ago. As a Chinese i really never heard about such a thing in my life. 

What they are restricting are those newly formed religions. Those newly formed religions mostly have politic forces behind them trying to fight against the current China government, example the "Fa lun gong". While some are formed by some people trying to use the new religions to earn money (such cases very popular in Taiwan, lots of Taiwanese joined those evil cult but thinking they are doing something good, one of the cases, they even gathered and commited suicide together claiming they can go to heaven)

(01-26-2016, 10:10 AM)G2G Wrote:

I read it and some parts seem misleading. Anyway, China or Chinese are not against religions, at least not Buddhism which has proved to be legal since long time ago. As a Chinese i really never heard about such a thing in my life. 

What they are restricting are those newly formed religions. Those newly formed religions mostly have politic forces behind them trying to fight against the current China government, example the "Fa lun gong". While some are formed by some people trying to use the new religions to earn money (such cases very popular in Taiwan, lots of Taiwanese joined those evil cult but thinking they are doing something good, one of the cases, they even gathered and commited suicide together claiming they can go to heaven)

It doesn't change the fact that there is and has been persecution of religion under communist rule in China.  It's legal to speak, vote, etc but they'll kill you if they feel like it.  Don't act like China is somehow an accepting country.  It's a third world communist country.  There is freedom of religion under the constitution and rule of the government which really isn't free.  If they feel like it they can stop any religion because under their constitution it must be not interfering with health, education, or public affairs.  In many cases China will take their authority and say no to a certain teaching.  This constitution only "protects" what they deem fit.  The communist party banned Christian missionaries when they rose to power.  In 1959 when China took control of Tibet monks, laypeople, and lama were massacred.  Currently you need approval for reincarnation if you're a lama. The government has attempted to eradicate Falun Gong and they also feel the same way about Muslims as they do Buddhists.  The U.S. international committee of religious freedom put China as one of 16 countries on a watch list for inhibiting religious expression of its people. The Chinese communist party is openly communist and bans any religious person from joining.  The people in the country can only worship startle sanctioned and regulated religions.

(01-26-2016, 10:32 AM)Mortal Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 10:10 AM)G2G Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 05:56 AM)Mortal Wrote: Soviets, Chinese etc are against religion.  Atheism can be violent.

It doesn't change the fact that there is and has been persecution of religion under communist rule in China.  It's legal to speak, vote, etc but they'll kill you if they feel like it.  Don't act like China is somehow an accepting country.  It's a third world communist country.  There is freedom of religion under the constitution and rule of the government which really isn't free.  If they feel like it they can stop any religion because under their constitution it must be not interfering with health, education, or public affairs.  In many cases China will take their authority and say no to a certain teaching.  This constitution only "protects" what they deem fit.  The communist party banned Christian missionaries when they rose to power.  In 1959 when China took control of Tibet monks, laypeople, and lama were massacred.  Currently you need approval for reincarnation if you're a lama. The government has attempted to eradicate Falun Gong and they also feel the same way about Muslims as they do Buddhists.  The U.S. international committee of religious freedom put China as one of 16 countries on a watch list for inhibiting religious expression of its people. The Chinese communist party is openly communist and bans any religious person from joining.  The people in the country can only worship startle sanctioned and regulated religions.

The point i was referring to was the part you said Chinese against religions (Should have used "China" actually), in fact it is not. China never stop people from believing Buddhism or Jesus Christ as far as i know. If they are prohibiting that, then they are again't religions, but they are not. If against those newly formed "religions" (mostly with bad intentions) are considered as against religions, this part i can't agree as i see many such religions must be prohibited. Too many people trying to use religions to earn money / gain power nowadays, without controlling, China will be in a big mess like some countries out there which people using religions as a tool to manipulate people to create havoc and destruction.

It's a third world communist country <-- Are you sure it is a 3rd world communist country? The wiki link here mentioned it is a second world country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World