Why do you use Tor?
Hi Guys and Girls

Firstly, FIRST POST IN PC GENERAL DISCUSSIONS, YAHHHH! Lol

I can tell that there are a lot of people on the forum that enjoy computers, online security/privacy and also using TOR.

TOR is a useful.... If you are not trying to be tracked easily, if your using it for everyday privacy then there is no point and you may as well just use a everyday consumer VPN, such as: HideMyAss, CyberGhost, Hotspot Shield.

So I am interested to know, what do you guys/girls actually use TOR for?

There are many things that are accessible on TOR that is not otherwise available, and it would be interesting to see if there are things that I did not know were possible.

Please can we not mention illegal activity, I would like to learn creative knowledge not destructive.

Get replying,
Ghost

[Image: ZneK6qZ.png]
I usually used tor for going on YouTube at school thats about it LOL

[Image: tumblr_nvmjwnPVwV1u9ev47o1_500.gif]
Certified Graphics Designer►◄Certified Web Developer►◄Retired Staff
I've used TOR for school. Also I've been on It once to look at guns and hitman xD.
Apparently it is really good if you're dealing with your bank info online. Also, if you live in countries where certain content is blocked you can most likely access it.
Tor isn't as good as it used to be, as many of the endpoint servers is owned either by the FBI or someone who doesn't give a shit about end to end encryption.
Though I heard it should be getting better over the next months to years.

Now that you say "if your using it for everyday privacy then there is no point and you may as well just use a everyday consumer VPN, such as: HideMyAss, CyberGhost, Hotspot Shield."
It's always a good idea to be suspicious about this. You can never be sure if they do end to end encryption. You need to blindly trust them.
I've been using TOR to buy stolen cc, weed, and cheap electronics Big Grin

[Image: JhKwobw.png]
BTC: 1G6mso9g7LZLxSWPQ1qwickf9YbqHh4Gtj
(12-31-2015, 12:34 AM)B74k Wrote: Tor isn't as good as it used to be, as many of the endpoint servers is owned either by the FBI or someone who doesn't give a shit about end to end encryption.
Though I heard it should be getting better over the next months to years.

Now that you say "if your using it for everyday privacy then there is no point and you may as well just use a everyday consumer VPN, such as: HideMyAss, CyberGhost, Hotspot Shield."
It's always a good idea to be suspicious about this. You can never be sure if they do end to end encryption. You need to blindly trust them.

True,but I am sure most of Tor's servers are managed privately, but that is not me saying that it is not monitored.

Tor (Dark web) is probably the most monitored part of the internet, do remember that most of the technology implemented in Tor was created by the US government.

Regarding using VPN's, it's not really about end to end encryption, its more about the masking of your IP, and as long as that is done properly, I have no issue with using such products.

Tor doesn't securely do end to end encryption, and in some ways is more easier to trace the route of the IP's you are being routed through.

(12-31-2015, 02:44 AM)Verity Wrote: I've been using TOR to buy stolen cc, weed, and cheap electronics Big Grin

Be-careful what you say bro lool. (I know about CC's tho, those big dumps  Big Grin ).

(12-31-2015, 09:43 AM)༺Ghost༻ Wrote: True,but I am sure most of Tor's servers are managed privately, but that is not me saying that it is not monitored.

Tor (Dark web) is probably the most monitored part of the internet, do remember that most of the technology implemented in Tor was created by the US government.

Regarding using VPN's, it's not really about end to end encryption, its more about the masking of your IP, and as long as that is done properly, I have no issue with using such products.

Tor doesn't securely do end to end encryption, and in some ways is more easier to trace the route of the IP's you are being routed through.

Tor is open-source if you want to check for any malicious behavior go ahead. I'm not quite sure what you mean with the "most of the technology implemented in Tor was created by the US government." Tor was made by Roger Dingledine and other people. Tor got its funds from the US Gov.

You're saying, as long as your ip is hidden, all the data being transfered doesn't matter? .. I can't agree with you on that one.

End-To-End encryption is one of the most important part of staying anon. Because Tor doesn't use End-To-End, you can do traffic analysis. The messages being sent to and from the client and server can be seen. Example: If you want to write with your secret lover in Italy. You can do that. But your lover must not know, as it's a secret. But because your lover is a high tech nerd, she will perform traffic analysis. Now she will be able to see your data.

The hype around Tor is too big. It isn't as good as people say.

VPN = You need to blindly trust the provider.
(12-31-2015, 02:44 AM)Verity Wrote: I've been using TOR to buy stolen cc, weed, and cheap electronics Big Grin

Self snitching smh
(12-31-2015, 11:07 PM)Mortal Wrote:

Self snitching smh

Trust, lool